Making your own wax? It is possible with just a few ingredients!
Sometimes you're just in need of a good wax and you don't want to go and spend all your money on a beauty therapist. You can make this wax at home and it requires just three main ingredients: sugar, water and lemon juice. You need something acidic such as lemon juice so the sucrose (sugar) doesn't crystallize.
I've tried it today and I'm really impressed. It doesn't take much time, leaves your skin really smooth and you can do it in the privacy of your own home. It does leave a sticky mess, so be prepared. Since no one can see it, you can mess up all you want and you can easily remove this wax with a little bit of water. This is unlike the wax (strips and hot wax) you can buy at the supermarket. Before you begin, you want to make sure there's nothing on your legs (no lotion,...) and that they are clean so there's less chance of bacteria getting into your pores.
Let's get started:
- 1.5-2 cups of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice (you don't have to use fresh lemons)
- Honey can be added
- Cotton strips
- A jar
- A stainless steel pan
- Something to spread out the wax
How to make
- Stir all your ingredients in a stainless steel pan.
- Let it cook for 10-15 minutes untill it becomes amber/brown.
- Put it in the jar (preheat it so it doesn't shatter).
- WAIT until it cools down.
Why use sugar wax instead of regular wax:
- It contains no harsh ingredients
- It sticks to your hairs and dead skin cells only (regular wax sticks to your skin)
- It is exfoliating and will hurt LESS (since it doesn't stick to your skin)
- You can use it a good week after the hair has grown back (app. 3 weeks for regular wax)
- You can reuse the cotton strips after you soak them in water
You can use it solid when it cools down, but I used it as you would use a regular wax. A lot of people say you should use sugar wax like this: spread it out in the opposite direction of hair growth, put a cotton pad on it, rub it, and pull it in direction of the hairs. I got the best results using it as such: spread it out in the direction of the hairs, put a cotton pad on it, rub it, and pull it against the direction of the hairs (this is the method used with regular waxing as well).
The best thing about this is that if you missed a spot, you can use the leftovers. Just heat the jar in the microwave for a few seconds and you can use it again ;)!. Have I mentioned that it tastes just like candy, so jummy.
Hope you enjoyed this post.
Talk to you soon,